This post is not well thought through, but I’ve been quiet for a little bit and thought “Hey, maybe everyone that reads this wants to know what I’m up to” Then I thought that one guy and my mum aren’t that bothered. Then I thought, what the hell, I’ll do it anyway.
So recently I (March) I did a week of R&D on How to be a Man with my good buddy Josh Coates. Then in April I did a 4 night run of How to be a Man at Ovalhouse and changed the show a little bit every night because I could. Then in May I did the show in Plymouth as part of the very first Plymouth Fringe Festival. Again with my good buddy Josh, we also saw some great shows including Professional Supervision by Thomas Martin.
Then I got back and now I have taken a little step back from the show for a couple of reasons, which I’m sure you’re dying to hear so I have listed them below in bullet points and in no particular order…
- I got a lot of great feedback from audiences, Ovalhouse staff and other artists and now I want to let it sink in a bit, maybe do a bit more research (reading articles and blogs, chatting with folk etc.)
- I realised that throughout the last year of developing the show I have occasionally hacked bits away, added bits on and not paid enough attention to what that does to the overall meaning of the piece as well as it’s rhythm and so on and so forth blah blah blah. So I need to have a break and then look at it again with refreshed eyes and face so I can see how everything fits together.
- The meaning of the show has changed a little, or at least what I want the show to mean has changed a little through my seemingly never ending research and chatting to people and so on and so forth blah blah blah.
- Other work (the one that pays) has got very busy very suddenly and so I need to put a bit more energy into that for a while.
- I have a tax return to do.
- I miss spending time with my cats (and Hannah Mook I guess)
- Fallout 4 is out in November so I need to play through Fallout 3 to get myself ready. DON’T JUDGE ME, you do stupid stuff too, I know I read it in a book.
- As opposed to writing specifically for the show, I kind of just want to write for fun, reflection, venting etc. I will be putting some of that up here and actually the first thing I will be writing is for the show… but I don’t know how exactly it will fit in. The reason for wanting to write for the sake of it is partly inspired by another good buddy, Leo, you can read what he wrote… HERE!
- I want to plan an attack for my next development of the show including; what I want to change, how I want to change it, why I want to change, when I will do the changing, when I will show people the changes, how I will be paid for doing all of that work (I will do it whether I get paid or not because I’m an idiot but I’d rather get paid than not)
You may be able to tell that I am in a slightly strange mood right now. I don’t know what that is or why (actually a topic touched on in How to be a Man) I hope you have enjoyed this torrent of words as much as I have enjoyed hurling it at you.
That’s all for now.
Sleep safe and sound when you can.